The Anglican Parish of St Peter at East Maitland is one of the oldest in Australia, commencing with the appointment of the Reverend George Rusden in 1834.
Even in its unfinished state (the tower and spire has never been built), it remains one of the finest parish churches in New South Wales. The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 December 1884 by the newly appointed Primate of Australia, the Most Reverend Alfred Barry and the Church was dedicated for divine service by the Bishop of Newcastle, the Right Reverend JB Pearson on 29 September 1886.
In style, the building is described as decorated gothic, 14th century work. The church contains a plethora of artistic and beautiful furnishings. The most striking are the pulpit, the font, the reredos, the lectern and the Henry Willis pipe organ. Additionally, there is a substantial amount of beautiful stained glass.
Saint Peter’s Church is normally open from 8 am to 6 pm every day of the year and service a lot of church-based events.