Prepare for the fright of your life as you and your friends are sentenced to an entire night within a cold, dark cell of the notorious Maitland Gaol.
Our expert tour guides will guide you through the gaol compound by torchlight, with a detailed exploration of the grim history of capital punishment in New South Wales as it was imposed on the condemned at Maitland Gaol. Your guide will explore the historical context of capital punishment, the extraordinary range of seemingly innocuous crimes that could lead to the ultimate punishment and the gruesome mechanics of how the death sentence was imposed.
Following our spine tingling Executions Tour, you will be shown your cell for the night. You will either be sleeping in 5 Wing, Maitland Gaol’s modern maximum security wing, or C Wing, completed in 1897 and known for housing women and their children and also home to the original padded cells, known as ‘Lunacy Cells’.
Once you have settled in you will be locked away in your cell with the heavy gates slammed shut until daylight. If you make it through the night, toast, condiments, tea and coffee will be served before you’re released into the outside world.
Inmates are required to bring
– Tickets (digital is fine)
– Swag or mattress (note there is limited power so battery or manually operated pumps are preferred)
– Warm Clothes
– Food and drinks
Important information to note
– There is no heating or cooling anywhere in the gaol and the cells are made of cold, hard cement. Although the tempreture may be warm, we recommend bring warm clothes and blankets.
– The toilets in the cells do not work and are not to be used under any circumstance. Toilets available for use will be advised on the night. There are no shower facilities.
– There is limited parking available. If you, can please car pool, organise a lift or use the train. East Maitland train station is a two minute walk from Maitland Gaol.
– Water, tea and coffee will be available throughout the night. Inmates are welcome to bring their own snacks and non-alcoholic drinks, there is no ability to heat food.
– There are limited power outlets, so bring your devices charged prior to arrival. Please bring a torch, as the site will only be dimly lit overnight.
This event is a drug and alcohol free event, bags will be checked upon entry and any offending items confiscated.
All inmates must sign the appropraite medical and consent waiver upon purchase of tickets. This must be completed prior to the event or entry will be refused.
Participants must be 18 years or over, this is an ADULTS ONLY event.