Saint Mary’s Anglican Church

Overview

Maitland became a parish in 1838 and is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Newcastle. The first St Mary’s Church was designed by James Hume and situated between the present Church and the Rectory. Completed in 1843, with a seating capacity of 300-400 persons, it was designed to be functional rather than architecturally attractive.

With a growing population, the question arose about enlarging the Church Building. The Colonial Architect, Edmund Blackett, said that it was too costly to enlarge and repair and so proposed a new building to seat 700 persons and built on an ecclesiastical plan that would look like a house of God. The foundation stone was laid in 1860 but the bell tower was not completed until 1887.


+ Add to Itinerary

Also Recommended for you

Lorn

Lorn Park Sports and Recreation Club

  • Australian
  • Bar
  • Carpark
  • Chinese
  • Cuisine type
  • Entertainment
  • Entity Facility
  • Family Friendly
  • Fully licensed
  • Licensing
  • Live Music
  • Non Smoking
  • Suitable for Functions
  • Takeaway Available
Maitland

The Riverlink

  • Entity Facility
  • Free Wifi
  • International Reach
  • Internet Access Point
  • Local
  • Public Toilet
  • Region
Maitland

Metropolitan Hotel

  • Actively welcomes people with access needs.
  • Alfresco/Outdoor Dining
  • Bar
  • Between $0 and $20
  • Between $20 and $30
  • Cuisine type
  • Disabled access available, contact operator for details.
  • Entity Facility
  • Family Friendly
  • Free Wifi
  • Fully licensed
  • Internet Access Point
  • Licensing
  • Live Music
  • Pet Friendly - Enquire
  • Price range
  • Pub
  • Takeaway Available
  • Wine price
Metford

Maitland Hospital

  • Carpark
  • Entity Facility
  • Family Friendly
  • Free Wifi
  • Internet Access Point
  • Non Smoking
  • Public Telephone
  • Public Toilet
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap