St Mary's Anglican Church St Mary's Anglican Church

St Mary’s Anglican Church

Overview

Maitland became a parish in 1838 and is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Newcastle. The first St Mary’s Church was designed by James Hume and situated between the present Church and the Rectory. Completed in 1843, with a seating capacity of 300-400 persons, it was designed to be functional rather than architecturally attractive.

With a growing population, the question arose about enlarging the Church Building. The Colonial Architect, Edmund Blackett, said that it was too costly to enlarge and repair and so proposed a new building to seat 700 persons and built on an ecclesiastical plan that would look like a house of God. The foundation stone was laid in 1860 but the bell tower was not completed until 1887.


Free Entry

+ Add to Itinerary

Also Recommended for you

Telarah

Maitland Railway Museum

  • Carpark
  • Coach Parking
  • Enquiry Desk
  • Entity Facility
  • Family Friendly
  • International Reach
  • Local
  • Non Smoking
  • Public Toilet
  • Region
  • Shop / Gift Shop
  • State
Maitland

Imperial Maitland

  • Alfresco/Outdoor Dining
  • Australian
  • Bar
  • Between $20 and $30
  • Carpark
  • Cuisine type
  • Dessert
  • Dinner
  • Entertainment
  • Entity Facility
  • Family Friendly
  • Free Wifi
  • Fully licensed
  • Hamburgers
  • Healthy Food
  • International
  • Internet Access Point
  • Licensing
  • Light Meals
  • Live Music
  • Lunch
  • Meal types
  • Non Smoking
  • Price range
  • Pub
  • Suitable for Functions
  • Takeaway Available
  • Vegetarian
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap