James Campbell’s Store opened here in 1867 after trading for some time in a large stone warehouse diagonally opposite. Campbell had special tokens made for use instead of money. Today these coins are rare and valuable. Campbell’s became the ‘place to shop’ and the store prospered up until the 1960s, when Morpeth’s river trade started to fall into decline. The building’s refurbishment in 1986 is seen by many as the start of the regeneration of the town which is now seen as a tourism destination.