Visit the historic churches and religious buildings the area has to present and marvel at their architectural beauty and the vast history that surrounds the buildings.
The current Monte Pio Hotel throughout its history has served a number of purposes including residence to Bishop Murray, The Sacred Heart College, The Bishop Murray Orphanage and The Edmond Gleeson House of Studies.
Cathedral Street precinct in Maitland is a place of outstanding cultural, religious and educational connections with Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Methodist and Congregational Church heritage.
At the corner of James and George Streets is one of Morpeth’s most impressive buildings, the large and complex design of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, built in 1897. The former convent, now a private residence, is a grand two storey Victorian brick building with wide balconies. During its time operating as a Bed and Breakfast the old cells were still intact upstairs and the section facing the new church served as the convent’s chapel.
St Joseph’s Convent, New England Highway Lochinvar
Monte Pio, corner New England Highway & Dwyer Street, Maitland
St Mary’s Anglican Church, 68 Church Street, Maitland
Cathedral Street precinct, Maitland
St Peter’s Anglican Church, 47 William Street, East Maitland
St James’ Anglican Church, 19 Tank Street, Morpeth
Immaculate Conception, corner George & James Street, Morpeth
Old Morpeth Convent, 24 James Street, Morpeth
All Saints Church, 235 Clarence Town Road, Woodville