Morpeth’s role as one of the most important river ports in New South Wales began in the 1820s and under the instruction of the Colonial Secretary, 1833 saw the development of the public wharf for Morpeth.
Queens Wharf as it was named was to become a heavily frequented river port by settlers, merchants, mariners, timber getters and farmers. During its time as a major industrial and agricultural hub, Morpeth helped to lay the foundation for the development of the entire Hunter Valley.
Today Queens Wharf still acts as a connection to The Hunter River for locals and visitors alike to use for boating, fishing and recreational water activities such as kayaking and stand up paddleboarding. The site was recently going through major works, including the landscaping of the site to provide a relaxing outlook with picnic tables.